Refining my art

Following on from the acceptance of my poems for publishing, I have a determination to succeed as a poet and possibly as a writer generally. I have started by reading around the subject of poetry; about structure, rhythm, rhyme, about line breaks, about what constitutes a poem, whether prose poetry is truly poetry… or prose.

I have learnt what enjambment is and that unknowingly I have been using it in my poetry. But, now I understand that enjambment is a technique which is used to change the emphasis of the sentence, to add suspense.

I have read about first person writing, about how we can use snippets of our life and experiences and create a new narrative, a fantasy, we can change the past with our words, we can create hope from the hopeless, and joy from despair. We can write from different perspectives, different personae to alter the tone and focus of a poem.

Before I joined the WordPress community I had read very little poetry, and I had written none. I now read your poems regularly and have discovered that I have a natural ability for writing poetry. I am learning all the time. But most importantly of all, I enjoy writing poetry, I enjoy the creative process, the editing and restructuring, coming up with a good title… everything.

It’s amazing that I can take a single word or phrase and construct something beautiful, something emotional around it.

I love writing and thank you for reading.

Karen x

Comments

11 comments on “Refining my art”
  1. Congratulations on your success and working towards your goals!

There is a lot of information about poetry , and just about everything else, on utube . It helped me to understand those illusive poems that seemed to be saying something I could not quite grasp. One of the most famous and well loved English poems is Rudyard Kipling’s If , it’s so quotable and often used by politicians ‘ If you can keep your head while those about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you ‘. I noticed they do not quote ‘ If you can dream and not make dreams your master ‘, perhaps good advice to politicians.
    I think poetry is like music you can master the mechanics , with dedicated application, but inspiration is a gift.

I am quite happy with writing as I am now, but if I can learn new skills then that’s good too.
      I also read some poems and don’t quite understand what they’re trying to say!

Thank you for teaching me a new word – I’d never heard of enjambment before πŸ™‚

It was new to me as well! 😁

4. That’s wonderful! How lovely to find a talent … WordPress is great! Looking forward to reading more of your posts! Katie

Thanks Katie x

5. I have always just let my poems write me and I never read on any technique but its very interesting to read this and to think that learning some of these may be really useful. May I ask where you learn this from?

There are various free on line courses. I use Open Learn and Future Learn. It’s interesting to learn more about the techniques, whether or not I then use any of them.

1. Thank you for that info Karen.