National Vegetarian Week

Today, Monday 14th May, marks the start of National Vegetarian Week. As a 90% vegetarian (I also eat fish, chicken and turkey), I thought this was a good opportunity to embrace a fully vegetarian diet.

During my teenage years and beyond I was a very committed vegetarian, not even eating polo mints as they contained gelatine back then. From memory Fox’s Glacier Mints were the only vegetarian mints available. Over time I relaxed my moral stance and began incorporating chicken and fish into my diet, and then later still I pretty much gave up vegetarianism all together and ate anything I wanted to.

Then during chemotherapy I found that the smell of meat cooking made me very nauseous and over the subsequent years I have become increasingly vegetarian, mainly due to the documented risks to health from eating processed and red meat products and a psychological aversion to eating these (because of my previous cancer experience).

In December I joined The Vegetarian Society and this year have really got back into cooking vegetarian meals. I am looking forward to trying new recipes this week (links included below) and actually started on Saturday.

Saturday: Tofu Steak with Coconut and Lemongrass Rice, served with broccoli.

Sunday: Chickpea and Sweet Potato Tagine, the recipe included okra but the supermarket didn’t have any, so instead of serving it with cous cous, I added quinoa to the tagine to cook in the stock and spices.

Today, I am cooking… veggie pizza (from the freezer) – very much a cheat day as the kids have a late dental appointment. But I’ll be back in the kitchen tomorrow.

Comments

12 comments on “National Vegetarian Week”
  1. Marts says:

Good luck with the cooking Karen… every week is already vegetarian week for me… šŸ™‚

I would happily go back to vegetarian but I really like seafood (at least the ones I’m not allergic to… actually I really like some of those too!!! ) šŸ˜

1. Marts says:

unfortunately my vegetarianism is not by choice I have a barrage of allergies (seafood for one)… I don’t encourage vegetarianism but I do encourage persons to be moderate in their eating, I think alot of dietary problems are due to a lack of moderation and ill habits…

I agree, moderation is crucial.
        Food habits can be very hard to overcome. I used to always head for the chocolate as soon as the kids were in bed, I’ve managed to break that habit but still feel the need to snack in the evenings. It’s a real battle of willpower at times!

3. Marts says:

It is said that dark chocolate is good šŸ™‚

2. Cooking vegetarian food may seem daunting in the beginning but is actually quite simple. Since you have been mostly vegetarian, you must be adept at it. The best part is substitutions work like a dream.

Yes, I am OK with cooking vegetarian. I’ve only been using tofu for a few months so am definitely keen to experiment more with that.

1. Tofu is very versatile and takes on flavours of things it is used with. Good luck with your experiments and share some of your recipes.

I’m going to include links to the ones we try.

3. Auroraboros says:

I was not aware that there was such a thing. I am also a loose vegetarian, which is both for health purposes (both mental and physical) and ethical beliefs, though I eat fish as well. I find it is quite beneficial for me so long as I don’t stay too rigid.

I guess it’s a marketing strategy from The Vegetarian Society, to encourage people to try vegetarian food. But it’s being embraced by many UK restaurants to promote their vegetarian dishes.