Granted: permission to do nothing

Today is my Race for Life day, except I won’t be racing.
I’ll be sitting it out.
At home on the sofa.
Possibly with a bucket of ice cream and a spoon.

I feel a little sad to be missing this event, and a little sad that I won’t have another medal to add to my collection. But I am very proud of myself for being sensible. Somewhere in my brain a switch has flipped (probably knocked to off by the bump on my head!). The switch that tells me to just keep going, work through whatever it is that’s problematic or painful, is not driving me to don my new trail shoes and just give RFL a go anyway.  I must be learning the importance of taking time out for recovery, or maybe I consider my head and brain more worthy than the rest of me. Either way I will not be running or walking 10k this evening.

I have been consulting Dr Google about head injury and concussion and now have a better understanding of what my poor little head/brain is dealing with. Previously I thought concussion was exhibited by struggling to stay awake and slurred speech and while these are symptoms to be very concerned about, there are a heap of other milder symptoms, all caused by the brain bouncing around in the skull – what a lovely image.

Symptoms such as confusion, dizziness, difficulties with balance, coordination and concentration, fogginess, nausea, sensitivity to noise and light, slow responses, difficulty in sleeping, memory loss, blurred vision, drowsiness, headaches, irritability.

I am experiencing many of these symptoms.

Dr Google also tells me that the best thing to do is rest. Physically and mentally.
One website says the following:

• Spend a lot of your time doing nothing
  • Don’t think – thinking is a physical activity, it requires a lot of neurological activity inside your brain
  • Eat well, but remember not to cook as cooking requires mental processing
  • Try not to do anything that forces you to exert mental energy

So, I’m good with the lack of physical exertion and not cooking but how exactly does one ‘not think’ and prevent over exertion of mental energy?

I’ll leave you to ponder that question on my behalf, while I sit around and try really hard not to exert my precious brain… 😀

Comments

14 comments on “Granted: permission to do nothing”
  1. Hey Karen,

I have tagged you for today’s 321 Quote Me game – today’s topic is Creative Writing,

Rory

oh crikey, I haven’t been on here all day…!

2. Forestwood says:

Doctors order to relax! Make the most of it! Even though it does get a little boring and frustrating. Hope you recover quickly. It sounded nasty.

It was quite a bang! The bump has almost gone down but it’s still bruised and sore externally, so I guess internally will be similar.
      Thanks for your message x 🙂

3. Cherilyn says:

Movies or binge watching a TV series is how you turn off the brain; it’s still on of course but because you are following the story line, its a passive form of thinking rather than the more active form which pops a lot of neurological activity. Also, goes great with ice cream. So I have heard.

😉

Good plan, might watch my favourite two movies – About a Boy and Love Actually – with some ice cream naturally!

4. Laurie says:

Bucket of ice cream is a good consolation. Hope your head is feeling better…

Thank you, it is improving day to day 🙂

5. How not to think? Hmmmmmmm put on talk shows? Something you can zone in on that flits along the consciousness without being taxing? I sometimes use computer games (match 3’s) as there is no thinking there, just finding patterns. Oooops that might cause thinking. Must say not sure how you don’t think when you have been told not to think.

Yup, exactly! 😁

I think the bucket of ice cream and a spoon is a good way to jump on the lazy train 🙂

I have oreo, Cadbury flake or white chocolate and raspberry! 😁 Where shall I start? 💕 😍

Yumminess galore!