I have been extremely lax about responding to awards for a few months – in May the Liebster Award (thank you to Emerging From the Dark Night for the nomination, in June the Sunshine Blogger Award, and now, July, the Blogger Recognition Award (thank you to Rory for both of these). There may have been others but as I didn’t even get as far as an outline post, I have no memory of these… but thank you to all my blog readers, if you nominated me I truly appreciate it! 😀
Big thanks to my friend, Rory, from A Guy Called Bloke and K9 Doodlepip! for the nomination of my blog for the Blogger’s Recognition Award. Rory’s blog is very entertaining and diverse so please take the time to visit.
1. Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog. [Done]
2. Write a post to show your award. [Done]
3. Give a brief story of how your blog started. [Done]
4. Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers. [Done]
5. Select 15 other bloggers for this award. [in a separate post]
6. Comment on each blog to let them know you’ve nominated them and a link to the post you created.
The Story of Blue Sky Days 365
I have considered starting a blog at earlier points in my life but I was never in the right emotional state to share something so personal. But over the last year I have come to accept my mental health “labels” and know that they don’t take away from who I am… from the pits of despair I rise like a genie from a bottle(!).
Throughout my cancer experience and subsequent depression & PTSD, I have learnt so much about myself. During six months of therapy, I learnt about why I think the way I do, how past experiences influence reactions, thoughts and fears, and how these reactions, thoughts and fears are often based in trauma. I know that my illness(es) are not my fault and that I have no need to be ashamed or try to hide this from people… I believe this even more strongly with each passing day. Which brings me to my blog [hold on Rory said make it short]…
My blog, Blue Sky Days 365, was initially started alongside a January running challenge to document my progress in learning to run and raise awareness of mental illness. Since then it has expanded to encompass my poetry and general everyday ramblings!
Advice for New Bloggers
Be yourself, it’s exhausting trying to be someone else! Write about what you know and what you’re passionate about. Be natural.
Read other people’s blogs, comment and/or reblog if something you read makes you think “wow, that’s so beautiful/inspirational/amusing etc.”. Build relationships with other bloggers, there’s a huge range of writing content, style, personalities on WordPress, so find people you gel with and nurture those connections. I feel that in blogging you get out what you put in to some extent.
(sneaky third bit of advice – be concise and if you can’t be concise be entertaining – some readers (me) have problems with concentration and with the best will in the world I just can’t focus on massively lengthy posts unless they make me laugh)
Sunshine Blogger Award
Thank you to A Guy Called Bloke and K9 Doodlepip! for the nomination, rules my nominations and questions will follow in another post.
What was the weirdest conversation you have overheard?
The ones in my head!
If you could be any age [not your current] for a full 7 days, what age would it be and for goodness sake why?
Six, because I can’t really remember what life as a six year old was like.
Do you believe in the paranormal, if so why and if not why, and if sitting on the fence – yep you guessed it … why?
Yes/No/Don’t know – logic defies belief but I have a number of friends who genuinely have experienced the paranormal.
If you had a brainwashing machine who would you use it on specifically and why?
I would brainwash my children into doing all the household chores WILLINGLY!!!
What is the strangest, oddest, wierdest or just down right stupidest thing you have ever eaten?
What is your most favourite of all time joke?
What’s the best way to catch a squirrel?
Climb up a tree and act like a nut 😀
What food would be the best to make a house out of – discuss and explain your logic?
Depends on if you want durable or edible? Let’s stick with the fairytale favourite of gingerbread.
Which of my 12 nominees is willing to take part in the Mystery Challenge question of this nomination and which of the 12 is willing to answer the Mystery Challenge Question?
If you could have a choice of window types and styles in front of your toilet, what would you pick? [You know, where you could sit and watch sort of thing]
No preference, I’m not one for lingering on the loo!
You have just bumped into an alien from the planet Jupiter and you say what?
Is it obviously friendly? If so, I ask if it’d like an ice cream.
Of all your behaviours/traits – which one has landed you into the most hot water or trouble?
I’m way too much of a goody goody to get into trouble, she says while polishing her halo 😉
Thank you to Emerging From the Dark Night for the nomination, I will post rules, my nominations and questions in a separate post.
Facts about me
- I have blue-grey eyes
- I sleep on the right side of the bed
- I can’t wear perfume as it gives me migraines
- I don’t play games on my phone/tablet/computer
- I wear contact lenses
- I drive a hybrid Toyota Yaris, which I love
- I have not read Harry Potter but have seen the films
- I own too many pairs of pyjamas
- I rarely drink alcohol or caffeine
- I would love to visit Iceland
- I haven’t had any Icelandic blog visitors
- If you were granted one wish what would it be? – for my children to be successful in whatever career path they choose
- What is your favourite season and why? – autumn-spring-autumn-spring, er spring because it’s the start of new life
- Have you ever had your heart badly broken? By whom? – not really but it felt like the end of the world at the time, university boyfriend
- What makes you cry? – loads of stuff, any emotional stories (drama or real life) on tv
- What makes you laugh? – people talking in silly voices
- What person inspires you most on your journey of life and why? – there are so many inspirational people that I’ve come across over the years, anyone who makes the best of a really sh*tty life, triumph over adversity style
- Who is your favourite author? – historically Stephen King, currently Val McDermid, Lucy Diamond
- What is your favourite food? – ice cream
- If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be? – I would care less about what other people think of me
- What is your most treasured possession and why? – iPod/phone, to listen to music while I run
- What do you think the most important quality in a person is? – compassion