Photography Friday (1)

In my post A walk in the park last Friday I suggested that I may do a regular photography feature and I’m happy to say that here it is!  Welcome to Photography Fridays 🙂

About a month ago I posted some mural photographs taken during a trip to Somerset to visit family, some of these photos were taken in Glastonbury.  For anyone not familiar with the market town of Glastonbury I shall simply say it’s slightly alternative.  There are a number of myths and legends surrounding the town which encourage tourism to the area.  I cannot speak of the accuracy of the information, but this link gives a brief history if you are interested in knowing more about the town.

The Glastonbury Mural

Painted on the end wall of a fish and chip restaurant/take away, which is a listed building, this mural was not approved by the council and the owner was told to remove it.  A petition of over 3,500 people requested that it stay and the council eventually agreed.

Glastonbury 3

‘Flower Power’ mural

I’m not sure if this mural has an official name, however I think it fits with 1960s flower power, free love and psychedelia.  This mural is on the end wall of the building opposite the fish and chip restaurant.

Glastonbury 2

‘Globe Inn’ mural

This mural is on the side of the Globe Inn, next to a children’s play area and park.  On the gates is a fox speaking into a megaphone and on the wall a wizard blowing bubbles, at least that’s my interpretation.  At first glance this mural seems quite dark and menacing but is it really?

Globe mural

‘Bod’ mural

I’ve named this after the 1970s cartoon character Bod because that’s what I’m reminded of when I look at it.  Love it or hate it?

DSC_0538~2

‘Raven’ mural

Next we have the ‘raven’ mural.  This mural has beautifully glossy paintwork which makes the raven shine almost iridescently.  The mural is continued on the other side of the shop doorway with the bridge and tree.

‘Alley’ mural

Finally, this mural is down a small alley off the main high street… beautiful.

Comments

13 comments on “Photography Friday (1)”
  1. Cherilyn says:

Stunning murals, love that crow and the last one (great photos too).

The flowery skull by the way, is a Mexican sugar skull. They are part of the Day of the Dead festivities on November 1st coinciding with All Saint’s Day. If you are familiar with the neo-Pagan/Wiccan concept of Samhain, it’s similar.

Fab, Mexican sugar skull, I didn’t know that. The crow is awesome! Photos were just taken on my mobile, so pretty impressed with the quality.

1. Cherilyn says:

The mobile phone cameras are coming a long way. My previous cell was an Alcatel and took awesome photos (a good number of my cat family photos were taken with it), After it died I went with a Samsung and the quality isn’t bad, but it doesn’t zoom at all which sucks. Still, its less pain in the butt than my digital camera lol. And yeah, the sugar skulls are migrating into the mainstream U.S. Halloween holiday culture a little more every year. I think they are beautiful myself. 🙂

Sugar skulls are beautiful, I think every wall should have one! 😁
        Actually when I do my October journal cover I’m going to try drawing one!

The world is so much more interesting with public art!

Definitely, unbelievable that the council have problems with it.

Wonderful photos! I love the sugar skull – too much of a good thing definitely can be wonderful, I like that! 🙂
    Have a lovely weekend and thank you for sharing these xx

It’s great isn’t it?! Have a great weekend Caz x

4. 🙂 Those are some really beautiful photos, Karen!

1. 🙂 You are welcome, Karen!