Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
Day 10 is the final day of the course Branding and Growth, I will post a summary of what I’ve learnt tomorrow, but for now I’m looking at Search Engine Optimisation.
SEO – making changes to your site and content in order that it becomes more attractive to search engines.
There are a few simple guidelines we can follow:
- figure out the most important keywords for your blog; what is your blog about?
- use keywords as often as possible, in post titles, tags, and the post content
- write a descriptive tagline which includes keywords; even if it’s not visible in your theme search engines will pick it up
- check your profile; complete all fields, ensure your blog URL is on your profile
- publish regularly – search engines like new content
- use tags and categories wisely – choose tags most relevant to the post content, avoid using too many tags, if you can use your keywords for tags and categories even better.
It seems that having a consistent message about your site’s identity is key to SEO and to building your brand. I will certainly have to think about this as rather than my blog having a single focus I’m becoming more diverse over time.
Without putting too much thought into it, my blog contains – poetry, running, mental health, cancer, book reviews, photography, ponies and who knows what else! An exercise in streamlining may be required.