Recovery day 1

Don’t worry I’m not planning on doing a day by day recovery diary!

I am quite fortunate in that I’ve never had a broken bone, so no plaster casts ever and no previous experience on crutches.  Luckily for me there’s YouTube and helpful videos on how to go up and down stairs.  In less than 24 hours I have progressed from being very slow and wobbly even on level surfaces, and certain that there was no way on earth that I’d be doing stairs… imagining tumbling head over heels to the bottom, to managing stairs (down first, then up).  This morning I managed to get out to pick up painkillers and a few groceries.  I’m lucky in that my car is automatic and my injured leg isn’t required for driving – couldn’t have planned that any better – so I can still get around.

Last night I didn’t sleep well as the pain was quite severe but now that I’ve got all the required pain relief (cocodamol tablets and voltarol gel) and crutches to ensure I’m not stressing my injury by putting weight on it, I feel that the pain will be more manageable tonight.

I’ve cancelled my 10k race at the end of November which means that my running calendar is clear until March, with the exception of virtual races, and they can be completed by alternatives to running.  I start physiotherapy in two weeks and can fully commit to getting back to fitness with my only deadline being more than 5 months away.

Comments

14 comments on “Recovery day 1”

It’s great you managed to get out (and isn’t Youtube just brilliant for, well, everything?!) but I’m sorry you had such an awful night with pain. Before long you’ll be wielding the crutches like a pro 😉 I do hope pain is more manageable with the tablets and gel, and that physio can get you properly on the mend when you start it in a few weeks. xx

2. Wowza …. this is hard for you I bet. Crutches are exhausting too. I hope it all mends super quickly and you can indulge in lots of lovely lying on the sofa being brought cups of tea … Katie xx

Crutches are hard work, but I’m definitely getting better at it! The pain is manageable now with cocodamol and keeping it weight free. I am definitely taking advantage of my team of ‘helpers’ 😀

Liked by 2 people

1. If you’ve got a gym nearby and they have one of those vibrating plate machines, they are the only thing that actually made a real difference to me. Lying on the floor beside the machine, dodgy leg on one of those solid foam roll massage things that the gyms always have now and put massage thing with leg on top onto the vibrating plate. Roll the leg slowly and gently back and forth. Amazing! It’s the most intense massage and helped me enormously. I did it most days whilst hobbling about. Bliss …. Thinking of you! Xx

Sounds ever so elegant! I get motion sick from those plates, but might be ok with just one leg on it.

3. Ha! I’m glad you know what I’m talking about though. The physiotherapist got me doing it and it worked wonders.

3. Alexis Rose says:

Wishing you a quick recovery 💐

4. Cherilyn says:

Quick recovery to you!

Thank you, it’s feeling better already with my crutches taking the weight.

5. kimberlyf says:

I wish you a smooth recovery!

Thank you, I know I will need to be patient and that it won’t be easy but in the end very worthwhile!

1. kimberlyf says:

The patience is the hardest part! I broke my arm several years ago, and it seemed like forever, but it was worth the babying in the end because it healed up just fine.

That’s the best outcome.