And the news is…

… good!

Yesterday I managed without crutches for the whole day and I actually walked a reasonable amount, pretty slowly and short distances but I was definitely moving.  As my leg was a little achy I feared the worst and mentally prepared myself for being in intense pain later that day, I’m happy to say that didn’t occur.

This morning I had my physio appointment and the verdict is that it may take twelve weeks to fully repair and recover strength but that it could have been a lot worse!  I have to be careful walking, not too far or too fast, but have been cleared for swimming, he even said that I could try the exercise bike and rowing machine at the gym and in a few weeks the cross-trainer.  I have a couple of simple strengthening exercises to do three times a week, progressing in difficulty through four stages and when I conquer all these, it’s then time to try gentle jogging.  He’ll review progress in six weeks.

Overall it’s good news, I’m so pleased I can get back to swimming and I’m sure I’ll tolerate the gym if it’s helping.  I’ll leave you with the physio’s words, “it’s slow and boring but it works”.

Comments

9 comments on “And the news is…”
  1. Bryan Fagan says:

Just happened to come by your site and I see you are on crutches. I’m headed for knee replacement so as you can tell crutches will be in my near future.

Here’s to a little crutch- bonding!!!!

This is probably not what you want to hear but I hated my crutches! I returned them to the hospital yesterday… if I could dance I would.

1. Bryan Fagan says:

I expect the same. Hopefully it won’t last long.

Here’s to future dancing!!!!

“Slow and steady wins the race”, as they say! Glad you’ve had some good news, and while knowing it could have been worse probably doesn’t help, it’s positive that things are going in the right direction. Woohoo 🙂
    xx

Liked by 2 people

Definitely improving day to day, very glad to know what I can and can’t do, and to have exercises to help. Even took my crutches back to the hospital today 😀

3. Ivan Siladji says:

Get well. Hope the recovery makes good progress

Thank you, it’s going well so far.

That’s great that you’re making progress!

Absolutely! 😀