Here we are again, it’s Sunday and it’s now four weeks since the parkrun that broke me! I am extremely happy to be getting back into some kind of exercise plan. Being so inactive means I have gained 5lbs in the last four weeks unsurprisingly as my diet hasn’t been the best either.
- I have done my physio exercises on three days
- I had a failed attempt at swimming (more on that below)
- I will have been to the gym twice – once earlier in the week and later today
- I did two short walks (1 mile and 1.5 miles)
- physio – I’m up to 3 x 10 reps on each exercise (stage 1)
- gym – I’m staying on low resistance but have increased duration on bike and rowing machine, also I’m working on my abs! (how gym-bunny-esque does that sound?) Core strength is important
- walking – I have been more mobile this week, my leg aches when I do too much walking and I’m still so very slow but there are definite improvements
- and then there’s swimming…
On Tuesday I went to the pool, I was really looking forward to getting back to some gentle breaststroke however, after a few lengths my calf felt a bit crampy, so I stopped and stretched it out and tried again but after about half a length it started again. I abandoned the swimming and did some walking using the resistance of the water which felt ok. Later that day my calf muscle started burning and the next day it ached so much, I think my aborted attempt at swimming has set my recovery back by at least a week. So for now it’s a definite no to swimming and I’ll mention it to the physio at my next appointment.
As is often the way with recovery sometimes there’s progress and sometimes set backs, but overall a positive week.
Goals for next week: physio exercises x 3, gym x 3, short walks x 3
Take care, it’s a dangerous world out there!