Patchwork and quilting

A long-ish time ago before poetry, before running, before crochet, before cancer I did a lot of needlework, mainly counted cross-stitch but I had started experimenting with quilting and patchwork.

My first project was a hand stitched bag made from upcycled fabric.

dsc_0038~3303426382..jpg

I then made a small quilt, again entirely hand stitched, which I love and is usually (and currently) on my bed. The quilt was started pre-cancer and eventually completed about eighteen months after diagnosis (image: front & back).

Before this I had already planned my next project, I think if I worked each day on all my sewing and knitting/crochet projects I’d be kept busy until retirement age! Not only had I planned it but I had bought all the materials, including wadding and backing fabric, this was going to be a huge quilt, one that would keep me really cosy in the cold winters. Oddly, I had chosen fabrics in pink, green and cream, odd because our bedroom is blue. However, as with many things that got put on hold, forgotten about, or that I lost interest in, my enthusiasm for such a big project had passed and all the materials remained hidden away in cupboards and drawers.

That is until I started setting up my den, when I retrieved all my sewing materials from their various hiding places and sorted everything into some kind of order. Having a dedicated space has sparked my enthusiasm for craft projects.

dsc_0037787794583.jpg

Keen to start, I’ve begun a smaller patchwork project using red and green Christmas fabrics before embarking on the massive quilt.

dsc_0038~21413586556..jpg

I completed the first square (above) today, the design is based on the below… think my colours look better!

dsc_0037~21797646744..jpg

Don’t worry, my writing and poetry haven’t been pushed aside, I’m merely having a writing break while 2018 draws to a close and I make some decisions about how I want to move forward with it.

For now I’m happy and excited to be back at my sewing machine.

Comments

14 comments on “Patchwork and quilting”
  1. Hi Karen,
    The main thing I learnt when I took up patchwork and quilting was that it took over my time and passion, squeezing out virtually other crafts! 🙂

I’ll be interested to see the design you’re thinking of using for your bed quilt! Let me know if I can help you in any way. First rule: HAVE FUN!

I have a few books, they all have some gorgeous designs. I think I’m veering towards a block a month as that will allow me to try out a few different things.
      Happy New Year & happy quilting!

2. Savvy Raj says:

Lovely artworks! Having a dedicated workspace for art works well for me too! Best wishes!💕👍💕

It’s so much easier when everything is right where you need it! Thanks x

1. Savvy Raj says:

Totally think likewise Karen!💞

3. I agree, I think your colours look much better! I’m happy to have found another quilter!

Liked by 2 people

Bright and cheerful wins for me.

Liked by 2 people

4. Beautiful quilts and piecings! My mum’s been a quilter for 30 years and I’ve just started a WP site for her so will get her to follow you 😊

Liked by 2 people

Brilliant I need an experienced quilting friend!

Liked by 3 people

1. Mum’s website is Quilts With Purpose, and we’ve been busy setting it up on WordPress 🙂

I’ve taken a quick peak, there are some amazing quilts on there.

Liked by 2 people

3. She’s very talented 🙂

4. Happy to help with any questions you might have.
        Cheers, Rhonda

Thanks Rhonda, I’m sure there are many, many things I need to know. I’ve just posted an update on my project with a list of things I’ve learnt already!