I had a very enjoyable and relaxing Sunday afternoon/evening in my den painting. It was much deserved quiet time after a morning of decluttering, tidying and cleaning.
My first two watercolours were completed using my watercolour pencils; a second attempt at a silver birch style tree and some flowers randomly selected from my How to draw flowers book.
I found the colours were too dark in my previous tree, with hindsight, I think my initial wash wasn’t diluted enough and I didn’t allow for any layers to dry before adding more paint which then caused the colours to bleed into one another and make a sludgy mess! But patience isn’t easy when working on such a small scale (A6).
With watercolour pencils it’s really important to control how wet the brush is, if it’s too wet it leaches too much colour from the paper. I’m learning all the time.
My next two were based on the sketches I’d completed in the park on Friday; for the fountain I used a single colour (Payne’s Grey) diluted to three shades, and for the roof tiles and chimneys I used Burnt Umber and Burnt Sienna.
I’m rather proud of these as they were my own original work, rather than exercises from a book.