Wednesday is art class day and I was so excited to get back to it, especially as since the class last week I haven’t done any painting at home. This is mainly because I’ve been sewing and my den, although multi-functional, has only one table… so, it’s about logistics.
At art class last week we started tracing the design and transferring it onto watercolour paper. This week we started painting.
First we used masking fluid (which is a gluey, rubbery solution) to cover the three main flowers, stems and leaves. Apparently masking fluid wrecks your paintbrushes so you should use old or cheap ones. Because we were masking quite large areas we used a cotton bud.
While the masking fluid dried, we mixed our colour washes – blue, turquoise and lilac.
- the blue wash was simply Cobalt Blue mixed into water
- the turquoise was Viridian Green and Cobalt Blue mixed into water
- and the lilac, Alizarin Crimson and Cobalt Blue mixed into water
The washes need to be of the same strength (probably not the correct term) to allow them to blend properly. If one is weaker then paint from the stronger one is drawn towards the extra water in the weaker one.
Once the washes were mixed and the masking fluid dry, we used a combination of the three colours to create the background, painting and blending the washes diagonally.
Once the paint was completely dry we applied masking fluid to the background detail.
Unfortunately, the class time was up at this point but for next week we have to apply a second layer of the three colour washes and remove the masking fluid, which is done by gently rubbing towards it’s centre. When the masking fluid is removed, we should see the main flowers are white, and the other flowers are lighter than the background.