Upcycling, recycling, repuposing, revamping #zerowaste

Having the day to myself yesterday I decided to get going on revamping an old cork pinboard using whatever materials I already had.

dsc_0147819601239.jpg

The cork was very fragile in places so I glued a few sheets of newspaper on to strengthen it.

dsc_0149876650185.jpg

I decided to go all out and create a quilted cover. Using scraps from my recent project I had just enough wadding to cover the area, sewing the wadding to a cotton backing.

The top was created from fabric remnants: a beige leaf pattern and a stripe pattern, added to the scraps of backing from my quilt.

dsc_01511819742580.jpg

The true art of patchwork quilting, I think, is in the quilting itself and up to now I have chosen the easier methods of either stitching around parts of the patchwork design or random stitching. As this was a small project I decided to try something a little more artistic. Cutting out paper templates of hearts and flowers I traced the design on the reverse and then stitched around each motif. It is incredibly hard to machine stitch smooth curves, so my hearts and flowers have some rather odd proportions in places.

But as you will see from the finished item my less than accurate stitching really doesn’t matter.

Quilted cover finished, I stapled it to the corkboard and added ribbons and buttons.

One day’s work, one pretty notice board, zero cost.

Comments

12 comments on “Upcycling, recycling, repuposing, revamping #zerowaste”
  1. calmkate says:

Very bright and cheerful, I hope to make my own quilt one day … got the materials now to acquire the know how 🙂
    Nice to meet you Karen!

Good luck with quilting, I find it very relaxing (apart from when I mess it up!) 😀

1. calmkate says:

lol as a learner I expect it will be very exacting 🙂

2. Reblogged this on A Guy Called Bloke and K9 Doodlepip! and commented:
    Karen has made a brilliant notice board through upcycling – nicely done indeed – check it out 🙂

3. This is excellent Karen, really impressive? Do you follow Kentucky Angel Flies Again? She is a keen quilter and loves talking about quilting with people, l think you both may have some topics of interest to share.

Thoroughly impressed with the results of this upcycling 🙂

I don’t but I will now, thank you x

1. Hey Karen, pleasure 🙂

Very creative idea, and I love the ribbon & button detailing to finish it off! 🙂

Me too, it makes it much more interesting.