Hooray! Today was the first day back at art class and I’ve been eagerly awaiting it. Wednesday morning’s now have a priority spot in my schedule and only the gravest of emergencies will displace class.
Today we started on this windmill.
First we traced the image onto our watercolour paper, then used masking fluid to cover the bottom sail.
Once the masking fluid was dry we painted the sky using Ultramarine Blue and a mix of Ultramarine Blue and Payne’s Grey, together with clean water to fade out the colours. This was blobbed on to dry paper, although I’m not sure ‘blobbed’ is the technical term.
Where the previous painting used colour washes to achieve consistency across the sheet, the aim of blobbing was to achieve variation.
When the sky was dry we could add the first layer of colour on the windmill which we did using Yellow Ochre and Ultramarine Blue with the tiniest hint of Payne’s Grey. I forgot to photograph at this stage. Once this was dry we added some foliage using lots of colours and tried to create light and shade variation.
Foliage colours: sap green, hooker’s green with a little payne’s grey, ultramarine blue, payne’s grey, burnt sienna and yellow ochre.
We certainly achieved a lot in the two hour class and I am so happy to be back!