Art@home: pencil drawings

It was my birthday recently and I spent a happy few hours book shopping on Amazon yesterday evening.  In the art section I found two books on folk art and illustration, and in the food section two vegan cookery books.  This post is only loosely related to my spending, and I will likely come back to these books at a later date.

Spending time painting (not running!) and shopping for new art books prompted me to take another look at a book that was recommended by my watercolour teacher.  This book is no longer in print but I found a copy via Amazon’s second hand marketplace for the bargain price of £3.35.  When it arrived a couple of months ago, I very enthusiastically started reading and working through the activities – for about two days – then life intervened and the book sat forgotten, until now.

With the imminent arrival of my new purchases I sat down with Trudy Friend’s Bible of drawing and painting technique and my sketching pencils, skipped ahead and started drawing.  I have no idea if I was using the correct pencils (from my set of six – 3B to 2H) or the correct technique but the end results are good enough that it obviously didn’t matter.

Pencil drawing

Advertisements

Comments

10 comments on “Art@home: pencil drawings”
  1. Eva says:

Brilliant work, Karen. Keep it up!

Thank you, love my creative side!

2. 🙂 I am making a bet that you are a skilled artist.

Do enjoy the rest of your day!

Lol I am most definitely a beginner, but maybe there is some talent waiting to find freedom!
      Have a good day yourself x

3. mandy says:

Karen, I absolutely love the art you’re posting! I’ve always wished I could do that when I got Old. Now I’m old and still never learned to draw or anything else. I always loved to doodle with a pencil. Is there a drawing or art book you would recommend for beginners?

I’m in no way an expert but the Trudy Friend one was recommended by my watercolour teacher. I like Matthew Palmer’s step by step for watercolour.
      I’ve never really tried art before this year and am impressed with how I’m doing. Good luck and keep me posted on your progress.

1. mandy says:

I’m impressed that you’re a beginner. You must have a lot of natural talent. Thank you for the recommendation, I’ll check them out! 💐

It’s a bit odd as historically I’ve never been creative.

3. mandy says:

Well that gives me hope, Karen!😂