It really is true that practice makes perfect, or maybe not perfect but certainly I see improvements with practice!
I started the quilting design on my hexagon patchwork quilt and was doing great, my stitching was becoming more even and I was really getting into the flow of free motion quilting and then my needle snapped. So I replaced it with one of the only two other needles I had and then that one snapped too.
Not wanting to risk my only remaining needle I have put aside my quilt while I await delivery of a variety of machine needles.
Using the one remaining needle – which I trusted would be ok for just cotton fabric – I raided my scraps and using the remnants from my jelly roll quilt I had an enjoyable afternoon sewing this log cabin block which at some point may be used for a cushion cover.